Queen Victoria’s visit to Dublin in April 1900 caused a severe outbreak of public and private decoration.
The side wall at 33 Gardiner Street Lower, nobly modeled in the then-fashionable Roman cement, is a reminder of that time. Seriously deteriorated by the early 2000’s it has now been restored to commemorate a private gift to public grandeur.
The end of terrace pair of Georgian buildings were in very poor condition, with No 33, the end building being in an advanced state of dereliction. This building has a very fine side elevation, unusual for the Georgian type, on to Deverell Place. It consists of a full gable of 16 blank windows complete with arches and granite sills and a tour de force lower side wall, plastered, rusticated and niched in Roman cement, built in 1900 for the arrival of Queen Victoria. The 2 storey returns to the front buildings, a symmetrical pair of side pavilions, suggested how the project might complete the rear enclosed courtyard.
The brief required the maximising of usable floor space within the existing and new rear buildings for speculative purposes. The new building volume was carefully designed to provide a symmetrical completion to the internal courtyard and to recede from the line of the retained Queen’s wall. The new side 2 storey wings connect the existing side pavilions to the new 4 storey rear mews building. A new line of clerestorey windows was positioned along the wall to integrate the old and new pavilions. The final uses are office use for no 33 and the 2 lower rear floors, with hotel use for no 34 and the 3 upper rear floors, in an interlocking arrangement.